Tuesday, February 3, 2009

day 3 : emerging

First my photo for create-a-thing-a-day:
We have a little micro-climate on the south side of the house where these daffodils are planted. I also have some planted out in the middle of the yard, but we won't see those for weeks. So maybe this is cheating a bit, but I'm still so, so happy to see them.

And on the crafting front, I finished this the other day:

A hat for Brian. He picked out the yarn and the pattern. The yarn is Berroco's Ultra Alpaca and it's wonderfully soft and silky. I love this stuff. The pattern is the Jacques Cousteau Hat, which I found on ravelry and it's available for free here. I'm pretty sure he picked it only because of the name. :) But I love the pattern the decreases make:
It's a really easy pattern but I did have some issues with the sizing. I started with the men's size and bigger needles (he has a big head) but it was way too big. Even the larger size with the recommended needle size was too big. I finally tried the smaller women's size and it's a perfect fit. So I started this hat three times! I'm glad it's finished and he loves it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not cheating to enjoy the spring. I'm afraid I'll have to wait daffodils at least a moth still, micro climate or not. I'm sorry the measuring was not good for you and you had to do several versions, but anyway thank you for knitting it :-)

Leah said...

I think it was more my fault than anything. :) It was worth it though because he wears it ALL the time.

Emilie Schuler said...

Hi! I stumbled upon this post because I'm also looking to make the Jacques Cousteau Hat. I was just wondering: what needle size did you end up using that worked for you! I also have Berroco Ultra Alpaca, and I would prefer not to have to start over 3 times like you did!