I don't use shampoo!
I've been using baking soda and apple cider vinegar instead, and it's working so well, I'm still kind of shocked. I had a couple of weeks of weird hair (I think it might have been because I wasn't using enough vinegar), but now it's so great.. I'm glad I'm stubborn! lol
It doesn't get greasy anymore! I don't even have to wash it everyday.. right now I'm washing it every other day and just rinsing it with water on the days I don't wash, but I think soon I'll be able to wash even less. And I have long hair too.. I just can't believe how well it's working. I even met some friends at the bar last week and afterwards my hair didn't reek of cigarette smoke (which it usually does!).
I had been wondering how to do this for a while, and I happened upon a post on the Angry Chicken blog with a link to more information, which was quite helpful.
But here's how I do it (based largely on the info from the link):
- I have a big water jug with a sports top that I fill with a mixture of 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon baking soda. My jug holds 4 cups, so I mix 4 cups water and 4 tablespoons baking soda so I don't have to worry about it every day. The baking soda will dissolve in the water and it'll just look like water.
- For the apple cider vinegar, I have a spray bottle that I fill with a mixture of 1 cup water to 1 tablespoon vinegar. This bottle also holds 4 cups.
- On the days I wash my hair, I just open the sports top of the jug and pour the baking soda mixture all over my hair and massage it in (I don't use the entire bottle, I probably use about 1 cup of the mixture each time I wash). Sometimes I let it sit for a minute or so, other times I just rinse it. Depends on how dirty my hair is.
- Then I just spray the vinegar mixture in my hair, making sure it gets everywhere (again, not the entire bottle). In that link I gave with more info I think she said she doesn't use the vinegar every time she washes, but I do. Without it I find that my hair feels rough and dry. The vinegar makes it soft and shiny and it doesn't seem like it's hurting my hair at all. And the vinegar smell goes away! Promise!
- I don't use hair spray or anything else in my hair, so I can't say how that would affect it. That site said to stop drying your hair with a hair dryer, but I've been drying mine and it seems fine. I just let it air dry a little longer and use the hair dryer to get the dampness out.
I know it might sound crazy, but try it, it works!